The ULTIMATE comfort food recipe. Wholesome brown rice, cooked chicken, and lots of cheese all swimming in a decadent, yet healthier sauce. This is a dish that everyone loves.
Do you have a favorite family recipe?
My family’s all time favorite is Creamy and Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole. It is easy, tastes extremely indulgent, and appeals to just about every palate–including children!!
It is actually quite funny, because to me, this dish dosen’t wow my tastebuds. It is nothing exoctic or spicy or fancy. BUT every single time I make it my family grins ear to ear, and I have NEVER served it to ANYONE that didn’t love it.
That is why I am ALWAYS making a double batch and stashing one in the freezer–it cooks up perfectly from the freezer. And trust me when I tell you if you have to take a meal to someone’s house, THIS IS THE MEAL that you need to take. It will always be well recieved and very much appreciated.
Even though this dish is not in my 3 favorite recipes (which happen to be Buffalo Chicken Salad with Oven Baked Fries, Sweet Potato Black Bean Nachos, and Tortellini Broth Bowl) I do crave this dish quite often. And it is pure comfort to me–almost like a big hug from Mom.
And like I said, my family BEGS for this dish. You should hear the screams at my house when I announce Creamy Cheesy Chicken and Rice is on the menu. I feel like a ROCK STAR!!
Pretty sure YOU will be a rock star too if you make this dish!
- 4 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs fresh minced garlic
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
- 4 cups steamed brown rice (4 cups AFTER cooking) This is 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- ¼ cup all purpose, unbleached flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup white wine, or additional chicken stock
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Top with 1½ Cups shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 Tbs fresh chopped thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour, chopped thyme, salt and pepper then slowly pour in wine and chicken broth whisking continuously.
- Whisk until thick and nearly boiling then stir in cheese until melted.
- Stir in cooked rice and chicken and then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Top with additional cheddar cheese, if desired, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through. Serve.
You can find complete recipes of this CREAMY AND CHEESY CHICKEN AND RICE in amindfullmom.com