This cheesy Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole takes just minutes of prep, thanks to your crock pot!
We’re heading into the time of year when comfort food cravings abound. Chicken, broccoli and rice casserole is one of our favorite comfort food dinners. I have a from scratch recipe that I love, but it takes a fair amount of time to prepare. This slow cooker version is so easy, it’s now my go-to recipe!
I love my slow cooker because it allows me to get dinner on the table quickly and easily. I’ve had this model for about 4 years now and it always yields delicious results!
To begin, you combine chopped onion, uncooked brown rice, chicken breasts, seasonings, and broth in the slow cooker. Later on, you’ll add the broccoli and some Greek yogurt, cheddar and Parmesan for creaminess. It really couldn’t be easier, and takes just 10 minutes of prep time.
No more homemade cream sauces to stir on the stove. No more three pots to watch and then wash after cooking the chicken, broccoli, and rice. Let the slow cooker do its thing to make your dinner while you do whatever else it is you’d rather be doing. 🙂
Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (not quick-cooking or instant), rinsed and drained
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1¾ cups (one 14.5 ounce can) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water (or omit the water and use a total of 2¾ cups chicken broth)
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into small pieces (4-5 cups)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Combine onion and rice in bottom of 5 quart slow cooker. Spread out in an even layer. Place chicken on top of rice/onion mixture. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and water. Be sure that all of the rice is covered by the liquid.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours, or on high heat for 3½ hours, until the rice is tender and almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and chop into bite-size pieces (or shred it in the slow cooker). Stir chicken back into the rice mixture in the slow cooker.
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave: Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl and add enough water to fill the bowl 1-2 inches deep. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high 3-6 minutes, until crisp-tender. Drain.
- While the broccoli steams, stir the Greek yogurt, Parmesan and cheddar into the slow cooker. Then, stir in the cooked broccoli. Serve.