Ground turkey, quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes and Mexican spices all cooked together in just one skillet! This healthy and delicious Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet dinner is sure to become your family’s favorite weeknight dinner!
Hi everyone! Danae from Recipe Runner and I’m back with my first guest post for 2016. I hope you guys had a wonderful holiday season and that the New Year has started out great for you. While I love the holiday season it’s nice to get back to my normal routine and eating habits. My body can only take so many cookies and chocolates before it starts to turn on me and let me know it’s had enough. By the first week in January it had definitely had enough!
Just because it’s January and many of us are trying to eat healthier doesn’t mean that we have to eat food that tastes like cardboard or lettuce all day every day. It also doesn’t have to use complicated expensive ingredients or take all day to prepare. Healthy eating can be delicious, colorful, full of flavor and easy to make. This Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet is a perfect example of a flavorful, healthy, one pan meal that everyone in the family is sure to enjoy!
TURKEY TACO QUINOA SKILLET
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey (I use 99% lean)
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Spray a large skillet generously with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot add in the diced onion and cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add in the ground turkey and minced garlic and cook until the meat is almost cooked through, breaking it up into crumbles with a spoon as it cooks.
- Stir in all the spices and the diced green chiles, cooking for another minute.
- Add in the black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, salsa and quinoa, stirring until everything is combined.
- When the mixture starts to bubble add in the water, cover the skillet with a lid and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked, it should still have a slight bite to it, but not be hard and crunchy.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover with the lid cooking until the cheese is melted.
- Serve as is, in tortillas for tacos, or on top of your favorite greens.
Leftovers may be frozen for a later use.